Parattah (Aboriginal word for ‘ice and cold’)
Parattah is a railway town, established mainly to service the old Main Line railway, with the station at Parattah being known as ‘Oatlands Station’. The station began operating in 1876, and at that time, was as close as the Main Line Railway got to Oatlands. Thanks to the presence of the station, a thriving township soon formed in Parattah. The coming of the railway brought enormous changes both for Oatlands and the entire district, as it enabled not only easy travel for passengers, but provided farmers with a much more efficient means of getting their produce to Hobart and Launceston. Today, the railway still passes through Parattah, but only as a freight service.