As Mayor of the Southern Midlands Council and on behalf of my fellow Councillors, I wish to extend a warm welcome and thank you for choosing to live in the Southern Midlands.
The Southern Midlands boasts many great attributes, including:
- a safe and secure environment for growing families;
- a rural lifestyle rich in cultural heritage;
- an environment which accommodates for both the young and the elderly;
- a community, which is focused on friendliness, co-operation and creativity; and
- a community, which encourages its youth to be motivated and positive about their future.
The people cherish the heritage of the area and this is reflected in the number of lovingly restored historic buildings. The area has a mild climate and many visitor attractions, is close to a number of recreational activities, and is therefore an ideal place to visit or live. The rural charm and picturesque landscapes, and the small villages within the Southern Midlands, create an atmosphere of tranquillity and a rural lifestyle second to none. All this is ideally located within commuting distance to Hobart and Launceston.
In terms of Council itself, we continue to build a reputation for achievement and innovation with the responsibility of ensuring delivery of a wide range of services to a diverse community.
Contained within this Package is information regarding the many services and activities available, which may be of interest to you and your family.
If you have any queries or wish to discuss any Council related issues please do not hesitate to contact me. I am more than happy to meet at a time convenient to you.
Anthony E Bisdee OAM
Southern Midlands Council